Renewed NSW search for Revelle Balmain

Nearly 30 years after Revelle Balmain went missing, police will search three properties.
Nearly 30 years after Revelle Balmain went missing, police will search three properties.

Three searches will be conducted for the remains of Sydney woman Revelle Balmain who disappeared in Sydney 27 years ago.

NSW Police are hoping the searches of eastern Sydney properties at Bellevue Hill, Bondi Beach and Potts Point on Tuesday will provide the breakthrough they need in the case.

Ms Balmain was 22 when she was last seen in the Kingsford area on November 5, 1994.

Her make-up bag, keys and her shoe were later found scattered near Ainslie Street.

She was reported missing later that evening and has not been seen or heard from since.

Despite extensive investigations by police at the time and over the years, no one has been charged in relation to her disappearance and in May a $1 million reward was announced for information about her fate.

A coronial Inquest in 1999 found that Revelle had died at the hands of a person or persons unknown and the matter was referred to the Unsolved Homicide Unit.

Last year, a formal review of the case was conducted and assigned to a senior detective from the Central Metropolitan Region for re-investigation under Strike Force Aramac.

It is expected that new lines of inquiry will be explored during a fresh coronial inquest at a future date.

Strike Force Aramac lead investigator Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Bell said officers are reviewing all previous evidence, as well as exploring new lines of inquiry.

"This includes whether Revelle was scheduled to meet with any individuals - clients, friends or associates - previously unknown to police, on the evening of her disappearance," Det Ch Insp Bell said on Tuesday.

"The locations that are being searched today will be subject to an extensive forensic examination by specialist officers.

"We are now exploring a new line of inquiry and believe these locations are of significance and will help us progress the investigation."

Australian Associated Press